- Promote professionalism and the value of employing individuals committed to ethics, professionalism and integrity
- Communicate regularly with our members to help determine their needs
- Review member feedback and other information to determine whether our services are meeting our members need
- Where appropriate work with, and provide a resource for, the Disciplinary Review Committee
- Liaise with the Professional Standards and Market Practices Committee and other CFA UK entities (e.g. special interest groups)
- Liaise with CFA Institute and other local societies, including in development of the Code and Standards and member support
- Maintain contacts with the regulator, professional bodies, firms, non-governmental organisations, academics, educators and others
- Bring to the Chairman's attention, and where appropriate to the Board's attention, matters requiring high-level input
- Review the ethics and professionalism member support offerings of comparable professional organisations with the aim of ensuring that what we offer is market-leading.
Accomplishments in 2016/17
- Bill Browder event: Bill shared his fascinating, and chilling, experiences relating to the forced winding-down of “Hermitage Capital” (once the largest hedge fund in Russia) and the death of his lawyer, Sergei Magnitsky.
- Kweku Adoboli event: interview in front of a conference room overflowing with CFA UK members, during which Kweku candidly explored, on the basis of his own experiences, factors contributing to ethical transgressions in finance.
- Innovative film event: held a screening of a documentary film (Precinct Seven Five) followed by a structured discussion (led by Dr Penelope Brown, Welcome Trust Clinical Research Fellow and James Irving, Chair of the CFA UK Ethics Committee).
- Launched the inaugural CFA UK ethics case study competition to explore ethical aspects of our members’ professional experiences
- Designed and developed CFA UK’s first digital case study for release early in the 2017/18 year
Areas of focus for 2017/18
- Developing new case studies for our members, as well as innovative ways to present them to increase member engagement
- Holding top-quality ethics events for our members
- Launch of our new "Ethics Channel" (as soon as the IT is available)
- Progressive upgrading of other aspects of the ethics website (providing interesting and relevant ethics material to our members)
- Source ethics-focused articles for Professional Investor
- Develop our ethics training services