CFA UK has made the decision not to return to a full in-person events schedule until early 2022.
Small events will be able to take place when some specific requirements are met.
Although, the UK government has lifted restrictions and, currently, it is legal once more to run an indoor event of any size without social distancing or other measures, Covid-19 cases remain high (circa 37,000 daily cases as of 6 September, which is equivalent to case levels in mid-December 2020).
CFA UK has a responsibility to run events safely for members, clients, volunteers and staff. Therefore, CFA UK has undertaken an evaluation of the risk factors in going ahead with in-person events at this time.
Our consultative investigation has concluded that events are environments in which the risk of an individual contracting Covid-19 is reasonably high. While hospital rates are low relative to past peaks, we recognise the potential risks for anyone who contracts the virus. We also await the impact of the winter cold and flu season. Therefore, we are very cautious with regard to holding in-person events.
Our dynamic programme of virtual events continues
Visit our events listing to see the latest upcoming virtual events. If you are a member of one of our volunteer groups, you have probably already been contacted about scheduling your next virtual event, but if you are unsure please email email@example.com. Please keep in mind that events are planned into the calendar around 3 months in advance where possible.
How CFA UK will run in-person events
From October 2021, CFA UK will allow for small events with the following characteristics and requirements:
o Maximum of 30 people in attendance
o Event is largely seated and is socially distanced where possible
o Event space is outdoors or well ventilated with fresh air circulating
o Attendees are asked to take a lateral flow test just prior to event (up to 24 hours beforehand)
o No one should attend who has any symptoms of Covid-19 or who has been in contact with anyone displaying symptoms
- As holding an in-person AGM is a legal requirement, this will take place as a hybrid event with virtual attendance encouraged
- Currently, any other and larger events will be scheduled for 2022
- This policy will be reviewed regularly
If you have any questions or queries, or if you would like to enquire about holding an event for under 30 people, please email Anna Pinch, Head of Member Delivery, CFA UK: firstname.lastname@example.org
Return to in-person events policy FAQ
Why has CFA UK taken the decision to only run in-person events for under 30 people and with other requirements in place?
CFA UK has a responsibility to run events safely for members, clients, volunteers and staff. Therefore, CFA UK has undertaken an evaluation of the risk factors in going ahead with in-person events at this time. Our consultative investigation has concluded that events are environments in which the risk of an individual contracting Covid-19 is reasonably high. Therefore, for the time being, CFA UK will run events for under 30 people only, and only in spaces where fresh air is circulating and attendees are seated.
How was this decision reached?
CFA UK undertook a consultative investigation where a number of stakeholders of the following categories were interviewed: members of the CFA UK Board, other senior CFA UK volunteers, CFA UK staff members, CFA Institute, other professional bodies, London venues, and CFA UK’s insurers.
When will the decision be reviewed?
The decision will be reviewed frequently from October 2021.
What factors will be considered when this policy is reviewed?
Factors include but are not limited to: safety and welfare of members, volunteers and staff; government rules, guidelines and recommendations; case rate; hospitalisation rate; recommendations from other organisations; recommendations from CFA UK’s contractors including legal advisors and insurers.
Will CFA UK be running ‘hybrid’ events where attendance is possible either virtually or in-person?
CFA UK’s AGM in November 2021 will run as a hybrid event. Running an in-person AGM is a legal requirement, but we will arrange for convenient virtual access.
When this policy is reviewed, this will include consideration of introducing future hybrid events.
As a volunteer, If I wish to go ahead with planning a CFA UK in-person event, what steps should I take?
- Contact Anna Pinch, Head of Member Experience at CFA UK by emailing email@example.com. Anna will provide more detail about how the conditions for running an in-person event can be met.
- Consider your audience and the nature of your event – would your event be more effective and reach a larger audience by running as a virtual event?
- As total attendance is restricted to 30 (including organisers), consider how you will create a targeted invitation list, i.e., events of this size are not suitable for marketing to the whole membership
- Plan at least two months in advance
- When planning your event keep in mind that the following criteria must be met:
- Under 30 people
- Venue is outdoors or with fresh air circulating (air conditioning must circulate air from outside)
- Event is predominantly a seated event and is socially distanced if possible
- Attendees are asked to take a lateral flow test just prior to event (up to 24 hours beforehand)
- No one should attend who has any symptoms of Covid-19 or who has been in contact with anyone displaying symptoms
- Please be aware that the CFA UK events team are focussed on the delivery of CFA UK’s extensive programme of virtual events and will not be able to support identification of suitable venues
- No budget is currently allocated but can be applied for where criteria are met and there is a clear benefit to CFA UK members. To discuss this, please contact Anna Pinch: firstname.lastname@example.org