The competition was unveiled in 2015 at the inaugural Aberdeen Road lecture presented by Charles Brandes, CFA, chairman and founder of Brandes Investment Partners, who worked with Ben Graham when founding his firm in the 1970s. The £5,000 prize, provided by Brandes Investment Partners, will be awarded for the submitted paper that best reflects the characteristics demonstrated by Ben Graham in his written works.
The winning entry from last year was The education of a millennial value investor by Liam Nunn, CFA.
The 2017 winner will be announced at the Aberdeen Road lecture to be held on 7 June 2017.
Ben Graham (1894-1976) was known as the father of value investing, he created and taught many principles of investing that modern investors continue to use today.
Your essay should consider:
How would the similarities and differences between Ben Graham's time and today's investment environment affect his writings? And, what do you think Graham would change in a ‘Security Analysis' 2017 edition?
- Open to all members of the CFA Society of the UK under the age of 35.
- Entrants should submit a paper that best reflects the characteristics demonstrated by Ben Graham in his written works, which references those works and which contributes to the recognition of financial analysis as a profession.
- The criteria which the award judges take into account are clarity, objectivity and depth of understanding of financial analysis and its contribution to the investment profession.
- Entries should be a minimum of 1,200 words and a maximum of 2,500 words.
- Participants must submit a 50-word synopsis of their paper along with their entry
- Entries should be emailed to AberdeenRoad@cfauk.org by 1 May 2017.
- The winner will be announced at the Aberdeen Road lecture to be held on 7 June 2017.
Terms and conditions
Entry is open to all CFA UK members aged under 35. No purchase necessary. The judge's decision is final. No correspondence will be entered into. All entries will be judged anonymously. Entries must be received by 1 May 2017 before 5pm (BST). We reserve the right to publicise the winner'' name and home town. By entering, authors are agreeing that their entries may be published online and in Professional Investor magazine and distributed via the CFA UK's social media channels.
To be announced